Saturday, January 29, 2011

Snow Without Tracks


By snowshoe, snowboard, toboggan or x-country ski, being surrounded by smooth snow makes you feel  as if you were the first person to be there.

One day when he is older, will this child remember how I explained to him that there are people in the world who LOVE fresh powdery snow?  It was his first time on a snowboard and I think he just wanted to go down as FAST as possible, fortunately, the snow cushioned his many falls, as he made his track going straight down the hill.

While going down the road might not be common by ski,  the snowplow never puts the blade down low enough to touch gravel, so I just go to my "trails" by road.  I suppose if Clark's Crossing became more popular, I would detour this scenic stretch of road, but as it is, I never meet anyone cars.  If a vehicle were coming, I would hear it long before it would meet me.

The trails we make with our  own skis have become my favorite.  Our little trails go where no noisy machine dare follow!  There is nothing so serene as being surrounded by smooth snow in the silence of winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment